Search Chancellor's Office:
November 18, 2010
- Thank you and welcome to our Founders’ Day celebration.
- This is truly a remarkable moment for UC San Diego and for each of us – because we are witnessing and creating history on this 50th anniversary day.
- This is our first Founders’ Day celebration and we plan to make it an annual event. That’s the advantage to being young – we can still create new traditions!
- Fifty years ago, UC San Diego visionary and founder Roger Revelle had one criterion for this campus. He said: “It must be distinctive.”
- And that’s exactly what we’ve become – a distinctive and world-class university accomplished in education, research, service, patient care and innovation.
- Today we reflect on our history and our success, and we honor our founders who paved the way for us.
- I’d like to recognize the family members of Roger Revelle, our visionary founder, and of Herb York, our first Chancellor, who are here today.
- They include Roger and Ellen Revelle’s daughters: Anne Revelle Shumway, Mary Revelle Paci, and Carolyn Revelle.
- Roger and Ellen's son and daughter-in-law, Bill and Eleanor Revelle, were unable to join us.
- Also here, Herb York’s wife, Sybil, and his daughter, Rachel.
- It means so much to us to have you here today.
- I’d also like to recognize John Pierce, who is the earliest UC San Diego graduate joining us here today.
- He earned his Ph.D. in physics in May of 1964.
- And he flew in from the east coast for this very special occasion.
- We are here to celebrate our founders, and also to celebrate all of you who are a part of our campus community.
- You are the students, staff, faculty, alumni and university friends who are still making history, blazing new trails and achieving the extraordinary.
- I’d like to recognize the enduring support and hard work of our staff members, who provide the infrastructure for our exceptional university.
- Your work, day in and day out, has helped to maintain the excellence of our university over the last 50 years.
- We’re also fortunate to have the best and brightest students and alumni – our current and future leaders.
- And, of course, UC San Diego is known for our esteemed faculty – leaders in their fields who teach, innovate, make new discoveries and advance their disciplines.
- Roger Revelle knew that an outstanding faculty was the hallmark of any great institution. So he recruited the best, and that’s what we’re still doing today.
- Whether you are a student, faculty or staff member, or a university friend, I hope you can take pride in being a member of our UC San Diego community.
- Especially today. Because today has been proclaimed UC San Diego Day by the City and County of San Diego.
- We also received numerous other recognitions from elected officials at the local, state and federal levels in honor of our 50th anniversary.
- I want to give special thanks to Mayor Jerry Sanders for being a part of today’s program; and to Councilmembers Sherri Lightner and Todd Gloria for being here; to Dan Cohen for being our emcee; and to our program participants and all of our performers who are making this Founders’ Day a very special and memorable event.
- Now let’s continue this celebration with a look back to the early days and our founders.
4:30-ish p.m. – [MAF closing remarks]
- Founders’ Day is our first signature event to commemorate our 50th anniversary year – and our celebration will continue through June 2011.
- I hope you’ll join us for our other 50th events, including Innovation Day Expo and Symposia which will be held the week of February 22, and Green Open House on April 16.
- This year, as we celebrate our historic milestones and remarkable achievements, we have a unique opportunity to share our success story.
- UC San Diego has had a positive impact on our region and our world – by being a world-class educator; by translating innovation to application; by providing advanced patient care; and by being an economic engine. I thank you for being a part of this positive impact.
- I’d also like to thank our 50th anniversary sponsors for helping to make events like this possible, and for helping with our Invent the Future student support campaign. Our Visionary Sponsors include Cubic Corporation, Qualcomm and Sempra Energy.
- As we celebrate the past and the present, our sight is set on the next half century.
- UC San Diego’s future accomplishments will be achieved by visionaries, innovators and overachievers … people just like you.
- Thank you for being here with us today.
- Now I’d like to welcome back to the stage, our emcee, Dan Cohen.
Official Web site of the University of California, San Diego
University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr., La Jolla, CA 92093
Copyright ©2010 Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions of Use